History

Short History of Trevethin Church

 

      It is difficult to place an exact date when the church was first  established. 

      If legend is to be believed  St. Cadoc built the church. As he was a 6th century saint this would date the first church as  early as the 6th century. If St, Cadoc was involved with the establishment then it is likely that the church would have been a small cell/chapel linked to Cadoc’s monastery at Llancarfan.

      The first recorded mention of the church is in the Norwich Taxation Documents of 1254. Other Records from 1291 value the church at 40 shillings, and it describes the church as a chapel dependent on Llanover, and belonging to Llandaff Cathedral. The Bishop of Llandaff assigned the name Trevethin to a church on this site during the 13th century and from

these records we see that the 13th century church was built on the site of an earlier religious establishment.

       The church didn't become a separate parish until 1843 and in 1866 it became a vicarage. The first incumbent of the new Parish of Trevethin,,the Revd. Thomas Davies, erected a

Parsonage.

        The oldest part of the building is the Tower, the moulding of round its doorway, gives us a clue to he age of he church. It is perpendicular in style. This style prevailed to a wide extent in the 15th century. If you look carefully you will see that the perpendicular has been engrafted on a still older style, for some of the lancet windows show an earlier style of architecture, most probably form the 13th century.

         A description of the church can be found in ‘Tour of Monmouthshire’ written by

 Archdeacon Coxe.  His description says…..

        

 ‘The Parish Church of Pont-y-Pool, called Trevethin, is situated on an eminence at a distance of a mile from the town. The church consists of a square tower of stone, with whitewashed battlements, a nave, a north aisle ,and a chancel; it appears to be an ancient

Structure, the nave being separated from aisle by four low circular arches reposing on massive columns scarcely five feet in height. The chancel is divided from the the church by a gothic arch, over which is inscribed ‘John Hanbury, Charles Rogers, mercer,

Churchwardens, 1730. On the pulpit  I noticed an inscription in large old characters ’1637, God save the King, C.R.13, J.H. A.H. K.H A.H.,’ which was the initials of  John and Richard Hanbury and their respective wives, with the arms of the family rudely carved.’

 

he present church was enlarged and reconfigured in the Perpendicular style in 1846/7’.

It is recorded that that during the rebuilding of the church a tomb was discovered in the wall of the church containing bines and some small coins which bore no inscription. The work was completed by a Mr Carter and his brother in law Mr J.F. Williams under the auspices of the architect Mr Wyatt.